Penrod's book, Using Blogs to Enhance Literacy, is listed as optional reading for the class. I bought it and have really been enjoying reading it. Here are a couple things she has to say about blogging:
"Bloggers may enter a state of "flow" where they lose track of time." That hasn't happened to me yet. I still have a hard time thinking about topics to write about and when I'm writing I'm very consious of time and what I'm doing. However, I can see how some people might really enjoy writing in their blog and therefore could get into "flow." Maybe if I keep doing this, it can happen to me.
"There are several elements that encourage writers to keep on blogging." One of these is there is no fear of failure and little to no self-consiousness. Again, that isn't true for me. I think about what I'm writing, I wonder if it will be of any interest to readers, and I worry about potential mistakes, especially of saying something stupid that will be published for all to see. Also, as an introvert, I'm usually self-consious when I'm in the public spotlight, and that's where I am with my blog. I can tell myself that nobody will read it so it's OK, but deep down, I know that it can be read by anyone who happens across it and who feels like taking the time to read.
Perhaps my challenge for blogging is to create a new persona, one that's more extroverted; one that doesn't care what people think so I can write with abandon and can enter that glorious state of flow.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
If you figure out "how to create a new persona, one that's more extroverted; one that doesn't care what people think so ...[you] can write with abandon and can enter that glorious state of flow," please let me know. I'm an introvert too and have the same issues you do with blogging......
ReplyDeleteJudyk, That's surprising to hear. You seem to blog so easily. Maybe you have been able to find that persona!
ReplyDeleteOkay, most people would consider me an extrovert; I will talk to strangers. But I haven't found the flow, either. I consciously read over my posts before I send. I rewrite and consider the words I use to make my meaning clear. I am aware of an audience. I understand what Penrod means by a flow; I experience that when I am deep into a paper after several hours of writing. (I am a one-draft writer, a stay-up-all-night-until-it's- done writer, a don't-interrupt-me writer.)
ReplyDeleteSo it is hard for me to just make light comments. I don't abandon my words; I own them.